High-flying Weston stay top of the table

Match report by Frankie Moore.

Weston-super-Mare came back with a bang at the Optima as they comfortably beat Dorchester 3-1 to move 5 points clear at the top of the league, whilst Truro lost their game to Swindon Supermarine.

The Somerset team, in the south west of England, have big ambition matched by superb play throughout the season.

Weston were knocking on Dorchester’s door early on and their fans didn’t have to wait long for a goal as youngster Olly Mehew scored 7 mins in after some beautiful build up play that saw all of the Weston players touch the ball which led to a through ball to the number 7 who slotted it in the back of the net.

Weston didn’t stop there as a few minutes later Dale Grubb darted down the line and almost doubled Weston’s lead but a good stop from the Dorchester goalkeeper denied him.

The Dorchester players defended excellently despite the score line at full time as they kept on denying Weston goal after goal and managed to stay in the game throughout the first half.

The Dorchester defence couldn’t stop Ellis Watts driving the ball into the box and Marlon Jackson smashing the ball home to make it 2-0 to the league leaders.

Weston kept hustling during the first half and could have scored more in the first half if it wasn’t for brave defending and goalkeeping. The first half ended with Weston comfortably ahead and looking like the game had already finished.

The second half started and clearly Dorchester had a good rest at half time as they put Weston under pressure as they tried to find a goal to try and get a result and the goal came just after half time as Harvey Bradbury for Dorchester pounced on a Luke Purnell blunder to put the visitors back in the game.

Dorchester were searching for another one but Weston managed to hold on and started to play football again like they did in the first half and the chances kept on piling up again and the goal was coming. And it did in the 72nd minute as Scott Lairds shot was stopped well by the goalkeeper who parried it away and Ollie Mehew got his second of the game to make it 3-1 and kill the game off.

Ollie almost secured a hat trick but was taken off in the final few minutes and was handed a well deserved man of the match.

The final whistle went and the Weston fans were in a cheery mood.

Overall Weston looked like a goal scoring side again and were much better defensively. They thoroughly deserved a win today in their push for promotion.

An excellent watch and good result for the Seagulls.